Chicken Noodle SoupRecipe
Warm up with this delicious homemade soup and freeze portions to reheat when you’re feeling under the weather!
Number of servings: 6
- 3 pounds chicken pieces (skin removed)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 cup celery (washed and chopped)
- 3 carrots (large, scrubbed, thinly sliced)
- 4 cups noodles (dry)
- 1 teaspoon thyme or sage (optional)
- Thaw frozen chicken in refrigerator (about 24 hours), or thaw in microwave just before cooking soup.
- Place chicken pieces in large kettle. Cover completely with water. Cover, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 2-3 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken pieces from broth with tongs or slotted spoon. Cool 10-15 minutes before separating bones from meat. Break meat into bite-size pieces. Remove any bones from broth.
- Remove fat from broth by skimming with spoon, adding and removing ice cubes, or blotting top of broth with paper towels.
- Add chicken meat, seasonings and vegetables to the broth.
- Bring broth to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook about 15-20 minutes on medium heat until sliced carrots are crispy-tender.
- Add noodles and boil uncovered for about 6-7 minutes, stirring occasionally to break up any noodles that might stick together.
- Ladle into soup bowls.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within 2 hours of cooking. If refrigerated, use within two days. When reheating, bring to a boil.
Per serving: 350 calories, 12g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 320mg sodium, 27g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 5g sugar, 33g protein
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.