Black Bean Tortilla CasseroleRecipe
High in fiber and protein, this easy meal can add some spice to your weeknight dinner menu.
Number of Servings: 4
- 1 cup frozen chopped bell pepper, thawed and drained
- 1 cup frozen chopped onion, thawed and drained
- 15- to 16-ounce can no-salt-added black beans, rinsed, if desired, and drained
- 5-ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- ½ cup salsa or picante sauce
- vegetable oil spray
- 8 6-inch tortillas
- 1 cup shredded light Mexican cheese blend or Monterey Jack cheese
- Heaping ⅛ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup snipped fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, stir together the bell pepper, onions, beans, undrained tomatoes and salsa.
Lightly spray a 9-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray. Spoon 1 cup bell pepper mixture into the pan. Arrange 4 tortillas in the pan, overlapping as necessary. Spoon half the remaining sauce over the tortillas. Top with ½ cup cheese. Repeat.
Lightly spray a sheet of aluminum foil with vegetable oil spray. Cover the pan with the foil, sprayed side down, to prevent cheese from sticking.
Bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbly. Let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and cilantro. Cut into 4 squares.
Per serving: 272 calories, 5.5g fat, 431mg sodium, 40g carbohydrates, 8g fiber, 17g protein
Recipe published with permission from American Heart Association One-Dish Meals, copyright © 2003.
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.