Chocolate Peppermint Meringue CookiesRecipe
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Decorative white sugar
- Line two large cookie sheets with a silicone liner or parchment paper and preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a large glass or metal bowl, and using an electric mixer fitted with a balloon whisk attachment, whisk egg whites, vinegar, and cream of tartar on high speed for about two minutes or until soft peaks start to form.
- Add cocoa powder, continue on high for one minute. Then add honey, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract and continue on high until shiny, hard peaks form (hard peaks hold their shape when you turn the mixer attachment upside down).
- Scoop egg white mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a star attachment or into a plastic bag in which the corner has been cut off. Hold your hand steady and squeeze mixture onto cookie sheet for one or two seconds, just enough to create stars the size of quarters.
- Sprinkle decorative sugar onto stars. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, then let cool for one hour.
Per Serving – 10 cookies: 19 calories, 0g total fat (0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat), 0mg cholesterol, 11mg sodium, 4g carbohydrates, 0g fiber, 4g sugar, 1g protein
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.