This vegetarian dish is low in fat, high in protein and budget-friendly.
Number of servings: 8
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion (large, chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 cups black beans (cooked)
- 1 can kernel corn (7 ounces, drained and rinsed)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups prepared salsa (divided)
- 8 corn tortillas
- ½ cup Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat; sauté onion and garlic 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add beans, corn, cumin and ½ cup salsa. Cook 3 to4 minutes, coarsely mashing beans with back of spoon.
- Spoon 1/3 cup filling onto each tortilla; roll up.
- Spoon ½ cup salsa into 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish. Arrange tortillas seam side down; top with remaining 1 cup sauce.
- Cover and bake in 350° degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover; top with cheese. Bake 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
Per serving: 200 calories, 5g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 520mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates, 5g dietary fiber, 5g sugar, 9g protein, 4 percent vitamin A, 8 percent vitamin C, 10 percent calcium, 10 percent iron.
Recipe courtesy of the U.S. Department of Agriculture, recipefinder.nal.usda.gov.
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment visit Steward DoctorFinder™ .