Fruity Wild Rice Stovetop StuffingRecipe
Perk up an old holiday favorite with the brightness of fruit and two kinds of healthy rice.
Number of Servings: 16
- Olive oil spray
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 pear (such as Bartlett), cored and finely diced
- 1 apple (such as Honey Crisp), cored and finely diced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups wild rice
- 1 cup brown basmati rice
- 1-quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 cups water, plus 1 cup if needed
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme, minced
- Heat a large pot over high heat for one minute. Spray with olive oil spray; heat for 30 seconds. Add onions and sauté for one to two minutes, stirring frequently, then add apples and pears and sauté for two to three more minutes.
- Quickly whisk together mustard, maple syrup, and lemon juice and pour over onions and vegetables. Then add wild rice and basmati rice. Sauté for two minutes, then pour in broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Add cranberries and cracked black pepper. Let boil for 10 minutes. If liquid level seems too low, add 1 more cup of water.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 25 minutes, checking occasionally. Add parsley and thyme five minutes before done. Serve immediately.
Per serving 1/2 cup): 154 calories, 1g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 50mg sodium, 33g carbohydrates, 3g fiber, 7g sugar, 5g protein
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.