Grilled Chicken Tortilla SoupRecipe
The smell of this grilled chicken tortilla soup simmering on the stove will get you hooked on homemade, almost as much as the taste will! After all, soup is good for the soul – and good for your body too!
- 8-6-inch yellow corn tortillas, julienne, cut into 1/8-inch strips
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- Dash ground black pepper
- 8 ounces. chicken breast, boneless and skinless
- 1½ tablespoons canola olive oil blend
- 2½ ounces yellow onions, fresh, diced
- 3 tablespoons garlic, fresh, minced
- ¾ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1½ whole bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 ounces tomato puree, canned
- 4¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons cilantro leaves, fresh, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil spray
Evenly coat tortilla strips with vegetable oil spray. Place in a single layer on sheet pans. Do not overcrowd. Bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 5 to 8 minutes, or until crisp and lightly browned. Cool quickly. Place baked tortilla strips in a food processor. Process until finely ground. Hold for use.
Combine granulated garlic and pepper until well-blended. Sprinkle the seasoning on chicken to evenly coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for one hour. Place chicken on sheet pan. Bake grilled chicken in a preheated 400°F oven for 13 to 15 minutes, or until fully cooked. Cool quickly. Dice the chicken into ½-inch cubes.
Heat large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add oil, onions and garlic. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until aromatic and lightly browned. Add ancho and chipotle chili powder, bay leaves and cumin. Sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomato puree and chicken broth. Bring to a simmer. Stir in finely ground tortilla until dissolved. Combine cornstarch and water until well-blended. Whisk into soup. Return to a simmer. Stir in chicken and salt. Simmer for 2 minutes. Keep hot before serving, remember to remove bay leaves before serving.
140 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 350mg sodium, 14g carbohydrates, 8g protein, 2g fiber
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.