Lefties Living in a Right-handed WorldGeneral
The struggle is real for lefties in a right-handed world. From scissors and elbow bumping at the dinner table to smudged ink and spiral notebooks, they all present challenges for lefties.
Although being left handed can make life more difficult for some, it also is a bit of an elite club. Only approximately 10 percent of the world’s population is said to be left-handed. This small group even has a day of recognition. International Left-Handers’ Day is celebrated every year on August 13.
In honor of this day, here are some fun facts:
- It is unknown what causes left-handedness, but researchers theorize that genetics and factors associated with fetal development in the womb are indicators.
- Lefties are said to be the only ones in their “right” minds because the right hemisphere of the brain controls your left-hand control, creativity, music, art, and published studies have debunked this myth.
- A 2005 published study in Laterality indicated that lefties have a lower risk of developing ulcers and arthritis, but it has not been pinpointed which genes to attribute to this.
Famous lefties include:
- Nine U.S. Presidents were left-handed: James Garfield, Herbert Hoover, Harry Truman, John F. Kennedy, Gerald Ford, Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton, and Barack Obama.
- Two Phoenix Suns players are left-handed: Shaquille Harrison and Elie Okobo.
- Six Arizona Diamondbacks players bat and throw left-handed: Patrick Corbin, Jake Diekman, T.J. McFarland, Robbie Ray, Jon Jay and David Peralta
- Eighteen of the 25 players on the Arizona Coyotes shoot left handed including: Nick Cousins, Lawson Crouse, Laurent Dauphin, Christian Dvorak, Alex Galchenyuk, Michael Grabner, Clayton Keller, Mario Kempe, Richard Panik, Brendan Perlini, Brad Richardson, Dylan Strome, Jakob Chychrun, Kevin Connauton, Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Alex Goligoski, Niklas Hjalmarsson and Jordan Oesterle.
- Other lefties include AZ Senator John McCain, Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, Leonardo da Vinci, Lady Gaga, Mark Twain, Marilyn Monroe, Robert De Niro, Babe Ruth and Albert Einstein.
If you are a lefty, enjoy your day!
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.