Patient Safety: A Journey to Zero HarmGeneral
We hosted a system-wide event to reflect on our practices and policies concerning patient safety, and how we achieve superior care by embracing safety as a culture. Below are some highlights from the event.
- Chief Medical Officer Joseph Weinstein, MD, shared a video that captures how we deliver high reliability through caring for those most in need in the community.
- John Polanowicz, executive vice president of Steward Health Care System, shared the vision of 2017 is to continue fostering a zero harm environment and lower cost due to medical errors.
- Mark Chassi, president and CEO of The Joint Commission, emphasized the central role of culture in high-reliability health care.
- A celebration of Safety Heroes from hospital leadership at our hospitals.
- Panel discussions on improving incident reporting system through better information technology and regulations implementation.
- Justine Carr, Quality Committee Steward Health Care System Board of Directors, provided a new perspective of safety and quality inspired by her trip to Japan. From 2010 to 2016, Steward Health Care has experienced a rapid cycle change, including the growth of doctors and hospital campuses in size, establishing standardized and integrated processes, and becoming a national leader in ACO model of care delivery. However, with expansion and rapid growth comes the challenge of developing a culture that acts as a foundation for our mission: CARES. “We can achieve sustainable excellence through cultural transformation,” stated Dr. Carr. “This is a collaborative effort, one that takes a group of individuals to not just follow the rules, but live and breathe a shared idea.”
As an organization, we are ready to set ambitious goals for 2017 to continue to challenge ourselves on providing affordable, high-quality care.
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™ or call 1-800-488-5959.