Summer Cookout CautionsSeasonal Tips
Cookouts and barbecues are a summer staple! As you enjoy spending time with family and friends, it is easy to forget how quickly food can spoil if left out too long. Here are the biggest culprits to avoid at your next gathering!
- Mayonnaise spoils very fast. Be sure to keep mayonnaise, as well as any foods containing mayonnaise, out of direct sunlight and refrigerated in order to preserve.
- Make sure to wash all veggies prior to placing out! Even when packaging claims to have been ‘pre-washed’ it’s better to air on the side of caution.
- Salad dressings and vegetable dips have a short life expectancy when left in the summer heat. Be sure to keep cool if possible, or only leave out for short periods of time.
- If you planning to make meat, fish, or poultry be sure to wash your hands after touching the raw food to avoid any cross-contamination!
- Another food that spoils quickly is eggs. If you are planning to include egg salad, or deviled eggs, at your next cookout, only leave them out for short periods of time, refrigerating intermittently.
- Having a cooler by your food is not only good for beverages but also for keeping condiments, and foods cool so as not to spoil!
Be sure to follow these easy trips so all your cookouts go off without a hitch!
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.