Indulge in the flavors of fall with our delectable Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, a delightful blend of wholesome goodness and irresistible taste—perfect for holiday get-togethers. Enjoy this medley of sweet potatoes, mashed to creamy perfection, that form the hearty base, with a touch of cinnamon, pecans, and dried seasonal fruits for that quintessential autumn taste. The best part? It’s incredibly easy to prepare, allowing you to enjoy more holiday festivities with family and friends and less time in the kitchen. Whether you’re searching for a crowd-pleaser to bring to Thanksgiving dinner or craving a comforting weeknight meal, this recipe is sure to become your go-to choice.
2 pounds peeled sweet potatoes, cubed
½ cup reduced-fat milk
5 tbsp. butter, melted
½ tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ cup chopped dried fruit, (cherries, dates, raisins, or apricot)
½ cup chopped pecans
¼ cup pepitas
¼ tsp. ground pepper
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using a large pot, bring an inch or two of water to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes, cover, and steam for 18 to 20 minutes or until very soft.
- Discard water. Add milk, 4 tablespoons butter, vanilla, salt, pepper, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Mash until desired consistency. Transfer to a 1 1/2-quart baking dish.
- In a small bowl, add the pecans, pepitas, dried fruit and the remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Stir then sprinkle over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake casserole 20 to 30 minutes until hot and the nuts are lightly toasted.
- Optional: add sliced red apples drizzled with cinnamon as garnish.
Number of servings: 8
Per serving: Calories 217, Fat 15g, Carbs 20g, Protein 4g
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.