This fiber-filled version of mom’s chicken soup can feed a whole family at dinnertime or serve as leftovers to get you through the rest of the week.
Number of Servings: 8
- 1/2 cup raw brown rice
- 1/3 cup medium barley
- 1/3 cup red lentils
- 1/3 cup yellow split peas
- 2 ribs celery, sliced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt, depending on taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 12 cups water
Put all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil. Cover the pot and turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for about one hour, until all grains are tender. Check seasonings. Soup will be thick. You can thin, if you like, by adding water or chicken stock.
Per 1 ½ cup serving: 218 calories, 2g fat, 225mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate, 20g protein, 6g fiber
To find a doctor or schedule an appointment, visit Steward DoctorFinder™.